Friday, July 27, 2012

Trip to Houston: Barenaked Ladies Concert

Our first date was 7 years ago, and I remember it sooooo well.  Stuart picked me up at my apartment to go to dinner at Zio's and then to a Rampage hockey game. He was driving his blue, Scion TC, he walked me out to the car, opened the door, and let me in.  He got in the driver's side and turned on the car.  The music started, and I casually said, "Ooh. I love this song." He then squealed, gave me a huge hug, and said, "I love you!" Granted, the "I love you" was not a legitimate declaration of his feelings, but only a reaction to the fact that someone else in his generation loved the Barenaked Ladies.

We found out at that moment that we are both huge fans of this quirky, Canadian rock group.  These people are awesome!  What other band makes sure to record one song per album while 'in the buff?' What other band creates an entire song about aluminum? What other band could pull off the lyrics "Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon/ Cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes/ that make me think the wrong thing?"

Fast forward 7 years, to our 5 year wedding anniversary, and you find us at a concert for Barenaked Ladies in The Woodlands, Houston!  Woo hoo!  Our trip planning began when we found the concert date and venue online.  They never come to Texas, so we knew we had to go.  Here lies the adventure that is BNL: Houston.


What concert is complete without a giant beer for each of us? You also get to see the freebee we picked up for Corgan.  She calls is her 'Happy' because of the smiley face.  Cuteness!


Here is a great shot of the uber-drunk lady who kept trying to get the crowd to stand up and dance.  This is her during the first few songs of the first opening band (there were two before the real opening band).  Then, mysteriously, she and her date/husband/friend disappeared before BNL took the stage.  What's up with that?


Here is our view from the stage :)  We were in the 16th row and right next to one of the jumbo-trons.  Yes, that is Barenaked Ladies, and yes, they are wearing tennis whites.  Did I not mention these guys rock?!?


The 'opening' band was Blues Traveler, and they were amazing.  Here is a pic of John Popper on the jumbo-tron.  That man is crazy-good at the harmonica!


I heard their song 'Boomerang' for the first time at this concert and it made me cry.  I already know that I'm going to use it as part of a High School graduation gift for Corgan.  Here are some of the lyrics:

Despite the pretty dress and curls
You don’t throw like other girls
You follow through

But I’ll come on back
Cause I know
Though you meant to let me go
I could always be your boomerang
I’ll come on back
You will see
That all you said got through to me
And I would like to be your boomerang

If you don't get it, that's fine. It all makes sense to me, and I love the sentiment. I'm not sure I should be thinking about a high school graduation, though.  Makes me feel old, and makes me feel like time is flying too fast.  She's only 18 months!





Great shot of John Popper playing harmonica along with one of the Barenaked Ladies' songs.  Talk about a great moment!

One of the best concerts I've ever been (not that there has been tons), and I would totally go see them again and again and again.  So much fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment